Thursday, October 8, 2009

Deutsche Nahrung auf Mittwoch-Nacht



When I was in 11th grade I did something that changed my life. I logged onto an international pen pal website and answered an add from a german girl. She wanted someone to practice her French with; I had no French skills. But we did have the same taste in books. And that, it turns out, is quite a lot.

It’s close to ten years since Charlotte and I started writing emails back and forth, and while we aren’t always regular in our correspondence (mainly due to my inability to write back in a timely manner…) I most certainly count her among my small circle of life-long friends.

Upon reading this blog she sent me a German cookbook. And I think it is safe to say that I am in love with spatzel. Granted this was the first attempt and I had to cut the dough by hand as we do not own a spatzel ricer, but I do think it was a success. (Spatzel ricer= another kitchen implement that I must have. I don’t need heat, I don’t need air conditioning or cable, but I do think I need a spatzel ricer.) I found that it was very close to Aunt Helen’s pierogi dough recipe, and my favorite part of pierogi making was the left over dough we’d fry up with cabbage into halushki. I could not ignore my Polish roots and had to throw some cabbage in with the lot ( and some bacon since we had it laying around and bacon is not meant for laying around, it’s meant for eating as soon as possible).

Next up : Schupfnudeln
(potato noodles)
(just don’t ask me to say it)

Thanks Charlotte!

2 comments:

  1. I like the edges in your spƤtzle! :) Mine are always round and wobbly. Yours are special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spaetzel is seriously one of my most favorite things in all the lands! Well done, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete