Thursday, September 10, 2009

Once upon a month ago...






I had a birthday. 25. A quarter of a century. Felt pretty much like every other day really. The only telling sign of age would be my inability to consume large amounts of alcoholic beverages late at night/ morning and still mildly function the next day. But this is not new, this happened after I left undergrad. Or maybe my definition of "mildly function" has changed. Either way...

We celebrated at home, with a little company. We were puppy sitting Zelda for the weekend. She is quite a bundle of energy and we were excited that Lucy and her survived the weekend without an incident. Being the birthday girl I set the rules: I got to cook. whatever i wanted. A week previously Linda had given me my present- Mastering the art of french cooking and the 6 DVD set of the French Chef. So naturally I did it up Julia style. I cannot remember the names of the dishes but we had an appetizer of scallops followed by flounder over rice with green beans with a lovely white wine. For my birthday cake: the queen of sheba cake. I learned that Julia's "wobbly in the middle" means barely wobbly in the center (no big deal, just threw it back in the pan, tidied it up and re-baked it). It was fantastic- like fudgy brownie cake. lovely.

It was a fantastic birthday, full of butter, chocolate, wine and puppies. It does not get better.

1 comment:

  1. At the moment I'd pretty much die to be able to reach through the screen with my hand and grab a piece of this cake. It looks f a n t a s t i c :)

    ReplyDelete